When I became old enough to go to school, my parents only had two choices – either the local public school or a Christian school that operated in our town.
Parents now have many options when it comes to the education which their children receive these days – public school, private school, Christian school, charter school, homeschooling, online school, and the list could go on. It can therefore be a difficult decision to make. In making the decision as to where to educate your children, you need to keep Biblical principles in mind.
“Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD;
And in his law doth he meditate day and night.” Psalm 1:1-2
Apply this passage of Scripture to your choice of your child’s education.
Will they be exposed to un-Biblical teaching and instruction?
“Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.” Proverbs 19:27
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17
Will they be taught in an environment that is hostile to God, to God’s Word, and to the Biblical principles which you have sought to teach your children?
“(For that righteous man [Lot] dwelling among them [Sodom and Gomorrah], in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)” 2 Peter 2:8
Will the education that your children receive undo all that you have tried to Biblically instill in the heart of your children?
“Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6
Will they be taught by instructors who do not have the fear of the Lord?
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge:
But fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Proverbs 1:7
Many times parents will choose a school for their children based upon finances or upon convenience. Choose a school based upon Biblical principles. God can/God will provide the resources and the blessings of following Biblical principles will always far out-weigh any inconvenience!
We would love to invite you to learn more about South Charlotte Baptist Academy. Contact us at (704) 544-7323.
One of the greatest things that you can do for your children, in preparing them for school, is to teach them to listen.
“A wise son heareth his father’s instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke.” Proverbs 13:1
As most parents will probably understand and agree, the ability to “hear” is not a character trait that children are born with. They need to be taught how to listen. In doing that, you will also be training them to be a wise son! How do you teach them to listen?
- Start when your children are young! While it is not impossible it is definitely more difficult to teach a 10-year-old how to listen than it is to teach a 2-year-old how to listen. For those who may be getting a “late start,” don’t fret. It is not impossible, you will just need to be that much more determined!
- Make sure they look at you when you speak to them. Demand – Yes, demand – that they give you their attention. Too many parents try to speak to their children while their children are paying attention to the TV or an iPad. And, before you begin to blame the TV or the iPad just ask yourself, “Who allowed them to have the TV or the iPad?” Typically the answer to that question will be, “I did!” Mom and Dad, sometimes we create our own problems!
- Don’t allow them to ignore you. While they are not born with the ability to “hear;” most children can do a wonderful job at ignoring their parents! This goes back to #2. Make sure they look at you when you speak to them. If they cut their eyes away to the TV or iPad, stop, and make sure to get their attention again.
- Make sure that they understand what you have told them. That will necessitate that you ask them questions to verify that they heard you and understood what you told them. Don’t simply ask, “Did you hear me?” or “Do you understand?” Children will typically just nod their head in response to those questions. Instead, ask them, “What did I just tell you to do?”
- “Inspect what you expect!” Make sure to follow-up with them to be sure they followed through with what you told them!
- Be determined! As a parent, you need to be more determined to teach your children to listen then they are determined to ignore you. Don’t give up! Much of parenting is a matter of “Who’s going to give up first!” It’s a battle of the wills. Be determined that you are going to win and that you are going to teach them how to listen!
- Set the right example! Mom and Dad, you need to be a good listener as well. Do you pay attention to your authority? Do you listen to your pastor? Do you listen to God?
“A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish man despiseth his mother.” Proverbs 15:20
We often bemoan the fact that so many young people today will not listen to their teachers, police officers, or other authority figures. But, If you do not teach your child to listen, they are not going to listen to these others. More importantly, if they do not learn to listen to you, they will not listen to God when He seeks to guide and direct them. You will never regret taking the time and expending the energy necessary to teach your child how to listen. And, I can tell you from personal experience, your child’s teacher will thank you for it!
You should have already received an email informing you of the fact that re-enrollment for the 2017-2018 school year is now open for current students. (Open enrollment for new students will begin on February 1, 2017.) Re-enrollment is once again being accomplished via ParentsWeb.
Click here for instructions on how to complete the re-enrollment process! (These instructions were created last year but are still applicable this year.)
We want to encourage you to re-enroll your students for next year and continue to build upon the foundation that has been laid in this current year. To encourage that, the re-enrollment fee from now until January 31st is only $150 (plus a $10 administrative fee). Beginning February 1st, the enrollment/re-enrollment fee will go up to $300.
We are going to have several Open Houses (in the pre-school and lower elementary) to give you the opportunity to see the next class that your student would be going to.
- Friday, January 13, 9:30-11:00 AM – K4 Preschool and 1st grade Open House
- Friday, January 20, 9:30-11:00 AM – K3 Preschool and Kindergarten Open House
- Friday, January 27, 9:30-11:00 AM – K4 Preschool and 1st grade Open House
- Friday, February 3, 9:30-11:00 AM – K3 Preschool and Kindergarten Open House
At each open house you will have the opportunity to have your questions answered regarding the upcoming school year!
We look forward to serving your family in the years to come as you seek to “train up” your children in a Godly manner!
Although it is not 2017 yet, it is still important to begin planning ahead! Here at SCBA, we have already begun planning for the next school year! And, we want to encourage our Academy families to do the same!
Re-enrollment for the 2017-2018 school year will begin on Friday, January 6, 2017. Re-enrollment will once again be accomplished online via ParentsWeb. For several weeks during the month of January, our current Academy families will be able to enjoy 50% off of the usually re-enrollment fee.
In preparation for the 2017-2018 school year, we will be hosting several “Open Houses” during the month of January for our preschool and lower elementary classes. Stay tuned for specific information!
North Carolina Opportunity Scholarship Grant
A number of our families have been able to take advantage of the NC Opportunity Scholarship Grant this year to be able to significantly reduce their educational costs. Those families who received that Grant this year will need to renew their scholarship beginning in February, 2017 if they wish to continue receiving that assistance. (Be sure to be on the lookout for information pertaining to your renewal in the coming months.) Those families who are not currently receiving the OSG and who have children who 1) are going into our K5 or 1st grade program or 2) will have been in a public school the semester before enrolling at SCBA may apply for the OSG beginning February 1, 2017. Click here to be taken to the NC OSG website for further details.
With Christmas quickly approaching, we wanted to make you aware of some of the upcoming activities that will be taking place here at South Charlotte Baptist Church & Academy!
- SCBA Christmas Celebration – The students of South Charlotte Baptist Academy will be presenting their annual Christmas program on Friday night, December 9. The program begins at 7:00 PM in the main auditorium of South Charlotte Baptist Church. All students are required to be present for this program.
- SCBC Christmas Celebration – The adult choir of South Charlotte Baptist Church will be presenting their annual Christmas program on Sunday morning, December 11. The service begins at 11 AM in the main auditorium on South Charlotte Baptist Church. If you do not have a church home that you usually attend, we would love to invite you to celebrate Christmas with the SCBC Family!
- SCBA Christmas Break – School will be dismissed at Noon on Friday, December 16, for this year’s Christmas break. (This is different than what is posted in the Academy’s calendar) There will be no after care provided on that day. Students should be picked up at Noon. Classes will resume on Monday, January 2, at 8:30 AM.
- SCBC Candlelight Christmas Eve Service – On Saturday night, December 24, at 6:00 PM, you are invited to our annual candlelight Christmas Eve service. This is a wonderful time of reflection upon the true meaning of Christmas!
- SCBC Christmas Day – Christmas Day falls on a Sunday this year! Come and join the South Charlotte Baptist Church family for our Christmas Day service at 11:00 AM on December 25!
Our 2016-2017 school year got off to a great start on Thursday night, August 11, with our Parent/Student Orientation. It was exciting to see many returning faces as well as a lot of new faces in the crowd. During the evening a lot of information was given out.
If you were unable, for whatever reason, to attend Parent/Teacher Orientation, we ask you to click here to listen to the audio from orientation.
Please give yourself plenty of time on Monday morning, August 15, especially if you will need to take care of any business in the Academy office.
“By Love…Serve” – The SCBA Administration
Your school logo applied free!
Excludes Canvas by Lands’ End
Savings reflected at checkout when you enter
Promotion Code: YOURLOGO
Receive your school logo applied free! Offer available to all schools with a logo currently on file with us (excludes Canvas by Lands’ End, Lands’ End Sport, monogramming, Lands’ End Camp and Lands’ End Business Outfitters purchases). Discount will be applied at checkout. This offer has no cash value and is not redeemable for cash. Promotional savings may be deducted from returns. 5-7 business day delivery to most addresses. Please allow an extra 3-5 business days for logo applications. Offer valid through 9:59 p.m. Central, July 3, 2016. Not valid on previous purchases or when combined with any other promotional offers.
Click here to be taken to the Land’s End School Uniform Site. (The SCBA school code is 900167826.)